Tuesday, 12 May 2015

COYA, MAYFAIR

I love my Mondays off work, especially when the weather is good, and my afternoon was made even better when Angie (@SilverSpoonLDN) asked me along for lunch Coya. The name coincidentally sounds very much similar to Koya (one of my favourite regular spots, as many of you may already know!), but is in fact very different. 
Coya is instead a modern Peruvian restaurant located in Mayfair, just off Piccadilly, with three open kitchens; the Ceviche Bar, the open charcoal grill, and the central kitchen.
It has been quite a while since I last had Peruvian food, and I have heard good things about Coya - one of those places that has also been on the to-do list for ages.

The staff were very friendly upon our arrival, as they kept our coats away in the cloakroom before showing us to our table by the window. 
I do like the interior of the place, with its vibrant colours and artistic decor.





We tried a couple of drinks from the Juice Menu, which was divided into four different categories: Smoothies, Cleanses, Boosters, and the last option where you could make your choice of up to five ingredients. I was initially slightly tempted to choose my own ingredients, but then reconsidered, avoiding the catastrophe of my avocado-blueberry-coconut-mango-peanut butter concoction...
I decided to play safe this time, and went for the Campo Verde (wheatgrass, kale, pineapple, avocado, apple), whilst Angie chose the Para Picchu (kale, cilantro, celery, cucumber, pineapple). Both very green and healthy-looking drinks, and I particularly liked the creaminess of the avocado.
We also tried one of their cocktails, the Cusco Wildberry Punch (Ketel One Vodka, blackberry, raspberry, lemon, agave nectar and prosecco), which was quite sweet and fruity.




We both went for the four course set lunch menu, and ordered different dishes for each course so that we had a wider selection to try.
For our first course, we ordered a salmon and sea bream ceviche. The Salmon Nikkei had celery juice, ginger, daikon and wasabi tobiko, which was very refreshing. I loved the sea bream which had a lovely and fresh aroma from the coriander and a slight spiciness from the aji amarillo. Both of them were very good starters.

Salmon Nikkei

Dorada Criolla

Next up were the chicken skewers and tuna tacos. The chicken skewers looked really tasty, but we did notice that they were slightly pink on the inside. We queried it with the staff, and were reassured that it was meant to be prepared that way. Nicely marinated with more aji amarillo and garlic, and I can safely confirm that all is still well the day after!
We both really enjoyed the tuna tacos which were finely chopped up and very dainty indeed, served in light and crispy mini tacos.



I ordered another chicken dish for my main course, loading up on plenty of protein today! It was a really generous portion of corn fed baby chicken breast, marinated in aji panca which had a delectable peppery and smokey taste, and a bit of fruitiness to it as well. It was served with some nicely grilled peppers and onions on the side.
The sea bream was undoubtedly delicious as well, served on a bed of luscious potatoes and a fennel salad on the side.

Pollo al Josper

Filete de Dorada

We were quite full afterwards, but our waiter kindly brought out a couple of desserts for us to try anyway. One was a trio of ice cream: chocolate, Arabica coffee, and lucuma (if I'm not mistaken!). The chocolate was quite interesting as it had a bit of a boozy taste to it.
I really liked the Parfait de Arabica, made with kiwicha, caramelised banana, and Zacapa 23 YO rum. I had to control myself so as not to devour it all on my own, conscious that I hadn't gone for ballet in the morning - I do hate wasting good desserts...



Overall it was a very pleasant and relaxing afternoon, and the staff were very attentive and friendly throughout. 
A word of thanks to Angie for inviting me along and being such great company as usual, and many thanks to Coya for all the good food and their generosity.

Looks like this will be another favourite Peruvian restaurant in London to add to my list.

The Cheekster, signing out x







Coya on Urbanspoon Click to add a blog post for Coya on Zomato

3 comments:

  1. What a lovely review and your pictures look great! Thank you so much for coming with me! I'm looking forward to seeing you again soon.
    Lots of love,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angie! And thanks so much for inviting me, looking forward to seeing you again xxx

      Delete
  2. Ahh I've just found your blog through Angie's and can't wait to catch up on loads of reading! :) Coya looks like an awesome restaurant and I love the freshness of all the food. Can't wait to go! Lots of love, Andrea xxx

    www.andreaspassions.com

    ReplyDelete