Saturday, 20 February 2016

A. WONG, LONDON

After about a year since we expressed an interest in visiting A. Wong, we finally got ourselves organised for a lunch meet just in time for Chinese New Year.
The dim sum menu is only available during lunch time and as opposed to our table of ~10 for our usual dim sum brunches, we were only allowed a maximum of 6 diners for lunch time. The dim sum is priced per piece and we were required to email our order request to them a couple of days beforehand



We ordered a pot of tea for the table, which was served with some goji berries on the side that we could soak in our tea to add sweetness to it.
The first dish to be served was the Shanghai steamed dumplings with ginger infused vinegar, otherwise known as Xiao Long Bao - perfect mouthfuls which released the delicious broth inside as you bite into it.


The clear shrimp dumpling was served with sweet chilli sauce and topped with citrus foam. A modern take on the har gow which tasted okay, although I'm not too sure about the foam... 
The quail egg croquette puff had a nice light, crispy texture and concealed within was the egg which still had a lovely slightly gooey consistency.



We also ordered a few portions of sesame butter smoked chicken which was served shredded and the Chinese chive pot sticker dumplings. They were tasty, but not quite as good as the other dishes.
The crab, seafood and bean curd cannelloni was a bit hard and too chewy for my liking.




One of my favourites was the 'Breakfast in Causeway Bay' sticky rice rolls, filled with crispy dough stick and lava floss. I do love rice and enjoyed the chewy texture combined with the slight crispiness of the dough sticks, or what I would usually refer to as you char kway.
I would happily order this again on my next visit.



The Xian City 'lamb burger' was a much smaller portion than we were all expecting. The bowl of filling for the 'burger' consisted of lamb, sesame, coriander, chilli and Xinjiang pomegranate salad. The buns were nice and fluffy but were quite small, and there seemed to be more filling than buns. The meat was tender and there was a nice mix of flavours, but I have to say that it was quite tricky and messy to eat.



And of course we didn't miss out on the steamed duck yolk custard buns, a firm favourite around the table and I would definitely order more of it in future - if only I could have taken a whole box of them home with me (!)



There were unfortunately several items missed off our order, which included the Shaanxi province honeycomb oat noodles - the ones prepared were apparently not up to par hence they didn't serve it.
Overall, service was a bit slow, and it was a bit hit and miss with the dim sum dishes, but I think I've narrowed down some that I liked that I would order more of the next time I visit.
The prices of the dim sum are also pretty decent and the meal cost us £26 per person.
One to add to the list of dim sum places to try if you haven't already, or you can also check out their other menus from their website here.

The Cheekster, signing out x 

 

8 comments:

  1. I've heard amazing things about A Wong and it's right around the corner from where I live. I really need to go at some point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes been wanting to go for a while and finally did! I would go back for those duck yolk buns mmm... :) x

      Delete
  2. I have been going mad looking for good xiao long bao in London! I get it every time I'm in NYC, and its my favourite dim sum dish, but I've never found anywhere as good! Is it really good here? I have to try it!

    Erin xxx
    islandbell.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, yes it was! got double portions of the xiao long bao, was one of my favourites among the rest! :) x

      Delete
  3. Like the last photo :)
    BLOG M&MFASHIONBITES : http://mmfashionbites.blogspot.gr/
    Maria V.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum yum yum!!! That looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete