Monday, 29 September 2014

THE COLONY GRILL ROOM, THE BEAUMONT HOTEL

Ending the weekend in style with a relaxing dinner at The Colony Grill Room in the swish boutique hotel, The Beaumont in Mayfair.
The decor of the room is very classic, taking its lead from the traditional Grill Rooms originally found both in London and New York.

 

 

 

I do love champagne cocktails, and went for The Beaumont - sweet, fruit and bubbly, just how I like it.


I ordered the steak tartar to start with. It's one of my favourite dishes, and it has been a while since I've had a good steak tartar... Undoubtedly, it didn't fail to impress - the meat was finely chopped, nicely seasoned and topped with a dainty quail's egg yolk. Mandy went for the mock turtle soup, made from oxtail, vegetables and spices, and topped with a quail's egg. Wilkes went for the clam chowder which was deliciously rich and creamy. 
Unfortunately the oysters were not available that evening, but I'm sure worth ordering if you do make a visit next time.
Some classic starters, all very good and definitely set a good first impression of the food as we waited for our mains to be served.

| Steak Tartare |

 

| Mock Turtle Soup |


| Clam Chowder |

 

For mains I went for the cod, since I already had a meat starter - I do like mixing things up.
The cod was cooked nicely, with a delicate and flaky texture, and topped with capers. Mandy went for the veal, which was one of the other options that I was considering. Made from minced veal chop, blended with butter and seasonings and coated in a crispy breadcrumb batter - very tasty. We also ordered some sides to share between us - whipped potatoes and broccoli with almonds.
Wilkes went for the daily special, or a more posh term, Le Plat Du Jour, which was a Sunday roast. Very tender meat, and overall a hearty dish.

| Pan-fried Cod Grenobloise |


| Veal Pojarski |

 

| Roast Fore-Rib of Beef and Yorkshire Pudding |





And of course, we saved some room for dessert...well, just about enough room.
All of them sounded really good, and we ordered three different desserts to share. My general rule is that one must not order less desserts than the number of people sat at the table - a good rule of life is it not?
I really liked the Bananas Foster, made from bananas and vanilla ice cream with a sweet sort of caramel sauce, usually made from butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, dark rum and banana liquer. The Chocolate & Hazelnut Marquise is definitely one for chocolate and sweet lovers - very rich and moreish.
The Baked Alaska is always a showstopper dessert, but unfortunately was not
flambéed at our table as we had hoped for. This could probably be improved presentation-wise, but nonetheless, still a very tasty dessert.



| Bananas Foster |



| Chocolate & Hazelnut Marquise |



| Pistachio & Cherry Baked Alaska |





I do apologize in advance for some of my photos that may not be the most flattering, but I can assure you that the food was all very good, and we were all satisfied with our orders.
Service was prompt and efficient, and I do love the ambience of the place.
It is centrally located just off Oxford Street, and conveniently just down the road from where I go for classes at Danceworks - definitely good news for me!
Overall, a pleasant dining experience and I would recommend a visit.

The Cheekster, signing out x

Address: The Beaumont Hotel, Brown Hart Gardens, Mayfair, London W1K 6TF
Tel. No.: 020 7499 1001



[object Object] Square Meal

No comments:

Post a Comment