So I made a visit to Market House Brixton last weekend for the Nanban pop-up - Southern Japanese cooking from Masterchef 2011 winner, Chef Tim Anderson.
We were one of the first customers to arrive that day, and were strategically sat in front of the kitchen window.
| Pressure Drop Nanban Kanpai |
- Wheat IPA primed with yuzu, grapefruit, and orange juices -
| Karaage |
- Marinated deep-fried chicken thigh -
I love karaage, it's always a must-order dish for me at any Japanese restaurant - and this didn't disappoint me. Served in a cardboard takeaway box, the chicken was non-greasy and crispy on the outside, yet still tender and succulent inside.
Deliciously moreish, and I would gladly have taken a couple of boxes home with me...
| Ackee and Saltfish Korokke |
- Croquettes of ackee, salt cod, and potatoes with katsu sauce -
| Yaki-Curry Meat Patty |
- Beef mince, pea, and sweet potato curry with cheese in a turmeric pastry case -
Lovely flavours, and reminded me of currypuffs that I so love...
| Cheese Pepper Bacon Kushiyaki |
- Padron peppers stuffed with cheese, wrapped in bacon, skewered, grilled and seasoned with sichimi chilli powder -
| Shiitake Yuzu-Kosho Butter Kushiyaki |
- Grilled, skewered shiitake mushrooms basted in yuzu-chilli butter -
Both very tasty, especially the padron peppers which was my favourite amongst the dishes, alongside the karaage.
| Kumamoto Ramen |
- Tonkotsu broth, thin noodles, pork belly, tea-pickled egg, fried garlic chips, burnt garlic oil, fermented mustard greens, etc.
To avoid over-stuffing ourselves, we ordered a bowl of ramen to share. Lovely warm broth and the noodles were somewhat different from the normal ramen that I have had - strangely kind of like the noodles used in Wan Tan Mee (wantan noodles!)
Not that I'm complaining...I do love all kinds of noodles after all.
A satisfying bowl of ramen.
| Japanese Mr. Whippy |
We tried both flavours that were available that day - green tea with melon, and white peach.
A nice Asian twist.
Want to know what else is on offer?
Well then, here's the full menu...
The pop-up will be running throughout the month of August - walk-ins are accepted, but reservations are obviously recommended.
Address: Market House, 443 Coldharbour Lane, Brixton, London SW9 8LN
Tel. No.: 020 7095 9443
The Cheekster, signing out x