Tuesday, 5 August 2014

KUROBUTA, MARBLE ARCH

It has been a good few months since I last intended to make a visit to Kurobuta. Running slightly behind time, I hurriedly made my way down Edgware Road and turned off it into a much more pleasant and less grimy setting.
It was a warm summer evening, and it was nice that the glass doors were left open.



Picking up the menu from the table, my hungry eyes scrutinized both sides of the menu. The words KUROBUTA in huge letters typed across the top, followed by small squiggly fonts for the dishes - who designed these menus?
And if you thought the words were small on the food menu, it was even harder to read the squiggly font on the cocktail drinks menu...
Maybe I'll just settle for water.

 


I did however order a beer - I don't usually drink beer, but somehow in my mind it seemed like the right thing to order in this heat...
 And also because it was topped with frozen foam...

 

| Squid Kara-Age with Jalapeno Dipping Sauce |

Something different from the usual chicken version that I tend to order if available on the menu. Or an alternative to the usual fried squid/calamari. The squid was nice and crunchy, but I would have preferred a stronger jalapeno flavour in the sauce with more of a spicy kick to it.


| Nasu Dengaku, Sticky Miso Grilled Aubergine with Candied Walnuts |

Recommended by the waitress, the aubergine was grilled well and had a nice, soft texture. The sweetness could have maybe been toned down a bit, but otherwise a pleasant dish.

 

| Salmon Gravadlax and Avocado Tartar with Dill Mayo, Rice Crunchies and Fresh Yuzu Zest |

Some lovely colours and clean presentation. I do love a good tartar, and I was satisfied with this dish. The salmon was finely chopped and the rice crunchies were a nice touch.

 

| BBQ Pork Belly in Steamed Buns with Spicy Peanut Soy |

The pork belly meat was well marinated and tender, and the buns quite light. It was however very basic and unexciting, and for £13.00, I  would have expected a bit more of a 'wow' factor to justify the price of the dish...


| Roasted Scallop with Yuzu Truffle Egg Sauce and Yuzu Tobiko |

The scallops were cooked well, and I liked the mushrooms, but that was where the positives about this dish stopped. Everything else around it seemed to overcrowd the plate and overpower the delicate flavour of the scallops, especially that egg sauce. There was also a bitter aftertaste from the fried lotus roots which were slightly burnt.

 

| Sweet and Sour Snow Crab with Yuzu Kosho Mayo |

The crab was fried in a light crispy batter, and neatly presented - pretty satisfied with this


We ordered two desserts to share.
The first was a sort of pistachio parfait dessert, if I remember correctly, served with citrus jelly, hazelnuts and little dough balls. Not too sweet, and I found it very light and pleasant.
The second was an apple crumble based dessert, which I also enjoyed.

 


Based on my experience on that visit, I have to honestly say that it didn't quite live up to my expectations. Food was a bit hit and miss - some good, but also quite a few negatives that could be improved on, and the menu was also much pricier than average. I know it's West London, but still...
Service started off okay at the beginning, but then it became quite slow as the evening went on. We struggled to get attention to request for the bill, and waited ages for a card machine, whilst trying to politely avoid listening in to the argument at the next table between a dissatisfied couple and the manager...
The background music which was initially quite unnoticeable also became very loud later on in the evening, and it was hardly even 9pm - we had to raise our voices just to hear each other from across the table...

Another place ticked off the list.

The Cheekster, signing out x

Address: 17-20 Kendal Street, London W2 2AW


1 comment:

  1. lol - u put off by the cocktail menu because of the typo? wow, that must be some type face!

    ReplyDelete