Monday, 21 July 2014

L'ANIMA CAFE, 10 APPOLD STREET

I have had quite a (heavier than normal) week of eating last week, one of the places which included L'Anima Cafe. The first time I visited here was when I attended the Chowzter Awards where there were small canapes to sample, so I was looking forward to what the actual restaurant menu had to offer. 
The sister cafe to L'Anima on Snowden Street, London's award winning Italian restaurant by Francesco Mazzei,  L'Anima Cafe offers rustic Southern Italian food in a more casual setting.

 

As soon as we were seated, the bread trolley was brought to us, as we ogled at the selections before us...the best bread trolley selection that I have seen so far.
As much as we would have liked to grab as much as we liked, we were only allowed as much as our little ceramic bowl could contain. This came with some dips on the side - nduja and a fish-based paste.
My favourite was probably the rose shaped pastry with nduja filling, and the focaccia was pretty good as well.


 


We ordered a 1 litre carafe of white wine (Trebbiano) to share between the both of us - before we actually realized how big a 1 litre carafe was...thankfully it wasn't too strong.

 

| Impepata di cozze e vongole |
- Steamed cornish mussels, clams, basil sauce -

These came served on a piece of bread which was made to look like a large shell. We nibbled a bit on the bread once we had cleaned out the mussels and clams - soaking the bread in the basil sauce to soften it, but only had a bit as the sauce was quite salty.


| Calamari alla griglia |
- Grilled calamari with pappa al pomodoro -

I really enjoyed this dish - the squid was soft and slightly chewy, but not tough or rubbery, and it went well with the pappa al pomodoro.

 

| Peperone ripieno |
- Stuffed pepper -
 

| Linguini al nero |
- Ink squid linguini, chilli, lemon - 

Another squid dish for us - yes, we do love our squid...


| Filetto d'orata al sale |
- Sea salt-crusted baked bream -

This somehow didn't quite turn out as we were expecting. I guess we both had different visualizations and interpretations of the dish. The fish was cooked well, but lacked seasoning and tasted quite bland, even with the sauce. My least favourite dishes that evening.

 

| Pancia di maiale e sanguinaccio |
- Norfolk pork belly, sanguinaccio -

Tender and juicy meat with a nice bit of crispy crackling. I don't usually eat blood, but I have just realized what I actually ate... I actually liked it, as it was a blood sausage after all, and I do love sausages...


And finally, ending with my favourite part of the meal...DESSERT!

| Pannacotta, mirtilli e grappa |
 - Pannacotta, blueberries, grappa -

The pannacotta was really smooth and creamy, and my dining companion particularly liked the blueberries soaked in grappa...

 

| Cassata siciliana |
- Sicilian cassata -

Recommended by the waitress was this delicious Sicilian dessert - a ricotta and chocolate-filled cake, with layers of sponge and pistachio.


| Affogato |

And of course I just had to order an affogato, which came with a madeleine one the side.
It was nice, although I did find that the ice cream had a bit of a powdery texture...



Service was smooth and pretty efficient despite it being their soft launch period, and overall it was a pleasant experience.

The Cheekster, signing out x

Square Meal

No comments:

Post a Comment