Monday, 9 June 2014

ARTISAN, NEWCASTLE

I very rarely make trips up north these days - London seems to have a certain pull on me that makes it hard to leave, even if it is just for a weekend. However, sometimes a little getaway is essential, and it helps to know that I will be in the company of family.
My brother is just as much of a foodie as I am (it must run in our genes!), so I left the decision making to him on where to have lunch that weekend.

Formerly known as David Kennedy's Food Social, the restaurant was re-launched as Artisan this year - a modern restaurant that serves British inspired menus using the finest regional and seasonal ingredients. It is located in The Biscuit Factory; the UK's largest arts and craft and design gallery, which plays a role in influencing the atmosphere and the food that is served.
The place wasn't as busy as I was expecting it to be - I guess that I am just so used to expecting restaurants to be full on weekends as most places are in London. The place was rather spacious with a contemporary interior, yet it still had a warm and welcoming feel to it.

 

 

 

The set lunch menu had a choice of two or three courses, at really reasonable prices - the three of us all went for the three courses of course.

 

 

 

| Chef's salad |

A lovely mix of fresh greens, beetroot, apple slices and walnuts.

 

| Mushroom soup, truffle oil & chives | 

Me and Earn Hui ordered the soup which was deliciously rich and creamy. And the lovely aroma of the truffle oil...

 

| Crispy pork terrine, celeriac, apple, hazelnut | 

I had a little nibble of my brother's starter - nice and crispy on the outside and tender meat on the inside.

 

| Marinated skirt steak, roast potatoes, wilted lettuce, peppercorn sauce | 

An obvious man's choice, my brother went for the steak which was cooked a lovely medium rare.

 

| Beer battered haddock, double dipped chips, tartare | 

I do love a good fish and chips, and a really large and generous portion it was. Golden and crisp batter and the haddock was very fresh. Chips were pretty amazing as well, but unfortunately too much for me to finish.

 

Already quite stuffed from the starters and mains, but who can resist ordering dessert...we ordered all three so that we could share and taste all of them!

| Sticky toffee pudding, salt butter caramel, vanilla ice cream | 

Sweet and sinful, with LOTS of caramel - which my brother greedily scooped up every last drop.

 

| Selection of homemade ice creams & sorbets | 

A simple and refreshing mix of vanilla ice cream and raspberry and blueberry sorbet - yummy.


| Lemon & elderflower posset, marinated raspberries | 

Smooth, creamy and not too sweet. A nice way to finish the meal.

 


Great food, service and ambience - definitely worth a visit if you're in the area.

Address: The Biscuit Factory, Stoddart Street, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 1AN
Tel. No.: 0191 260 5411

The Cheekster, signing out x

No comments:

Post a Comment