Sunday, 4 May 2014

PACATA, 4 NEW ROW, COVENT GARDEN

Opened by Singha Beer brewer, Pacata aims to bring the Asian street food concept to London, involving the fusion of Asian and Western flavours. 
Thai food is one of my favourite cuisines, so I was curious to see what Pacata had to offer, and hopefully, excite my taste buds.






We stopped by for a late lunch - although part of the menu was labeled as 'Dinner', this was thankfully also being served at that time.


 

| D.I.Y. Papaya Salad |

We were served a bowl of chopped up papaya and vegetables, a jug of sauce, and a mortar and pestle. Not quite the easiest dish to put together especially if you have limited table space (!) - a little tricky trying not to splatter each other with vegetable and juices, but actually tasted alright when mixed together.
Something different, although I think I still prefer leaving my food to be prepared and put together in the kitchen before being served to me...

 


| Popcorn Chicken |
- with deep-fried Pandan leaves and a hint of Larb powder or Tom Yum powder -

Although a tad bit salty, I did like the crunchiness of them. A nice hint of spiciness, and we also requested some wasabi mayonnaise dips to accompany them.


| Seared Sea Bass |
- with a choice of Green curry, Massaman curry or Japanese curry. Sauteed French bean, mushroom, tomato, and Jasmine rice or fries. -

Someone had recommended this dish, which we ordered with the Massaman curry. I had high hopes for this, but unfortunately it just didn't work for me - the curry was too watery, and everything including the fish, which was supposed to be the highlight of the dish, was under-seasoned. 
We did mention it in our feedback to the waiter at the end of our meal, so hopefully it will turn out better on in future.


| Pacata Pasta |
- Pad-Thai with a twist. Squid ink Tagliatelle with spring onion, egg, bean sprout, Chinese tofu and king prawn -

This was my favourite dish of our meal. I do love a good traditional Pad-Thai, and this fusion dish still delivered the delicious flavours, topped off with some succulent juicy prawns.
Although I feel that maybe some chopped roasted peanuts and chilli pepper would have ticked all the right boxes for me. 
But overall, still a really tasty dish.

 

| Green Tea Brownie and Ice Cream |

Sweet and moist brownie (or as I prefer to call it, 'greenie') and lovely ball of green tea ice cream.




Despite it being described as a fusion restaurant, personally I felt that it didn't quite live up to my expectations. It is however a nice little hideaway from the hustle and bustle of the tourist-packed part of Covent Garden, and I wouldn't say no to a second visit to try out some of the other dishes - hopefully a better and improved visit from the first one.

Address: 4 New Row, Covent Garden, London WC2N 4LH
Tel. No.: 020 724 01602
Opening hours: 7:00-late (Mon - Sat) ; 10:00-22:00 (Sun)

The Cheekster, signing out x

Square Meal

No comments:

Post a Comment