Sunday, 23 March 2014

BARNYARD, 18 CHARLOTTE STREET, LONDON W1T 2LY

My list of restaurants to try seems to be getting longer each time, even more so now that I am trying to dedicate more time to my dancing - trying to 'keep the balance'.
I was however quite excited to try out Barnyard, the latest venture from Ollie Dabbous.
I haven't actually gotten round to dining at Dabbous, probably because I've heard that I would have to wait months just to get a reservation. 
I can be a very patient person. Just not when I'm hungry.

Making our way there on a Saturday evening, we were lucky enough to get a table immediately - it was right by the entrance, but we weren't too fussed. 
Hunger takes priority over anything else.
The table was kind of shaky though, I'm surprised no one bothered to fix it with at least a wedge of paper.


 


We ordered a couple of shandies, and a selection of dishes from each category to share.

| Country House Shandy |
- Elderflower, Lemon, Ginger Ale, Bourbon, Goose Island IPA -

 

| Crispy Chicken Wings with Smoked Paprika, Garlic & Lemon |

This was the first dish to arrive, and both of us who were starving by then didn't hesitate to dig in with our fingers - after I had hastily taken a picture of it, of course.
Our fingers were burning from the heat, but I think our hunger needs blocked out the sensation.
Well marinated, and I loved the spicy kick to it.


| Roast Suckling Pig with Celeriac & Caraway |

The meat was quite tender and the crackling was really nice and crunchy. I also liked the little pot of celeriac and caraway.


| Corn on the Cob with Salted Butter & Meadowsweet |

Not quite the easiest dish to share, but we took turns and I happily nibbled away (like a bunny) on my half of the corn cob.
Not too dry, and I tried to get as much of the tasty melted butter at the bottom of the bowl.


| Cauliflower Cheese |

One of my favourite sides on any menu - creamy and comforting.

 

| Mince & Dumpling |

Nice flavours, although it would have been nice if the dumpling was slightly larger as there was quite a lot of mince and sauce.


| Homemade Sausage Roll with Piccalilli |

After eying the scrumptious looking sausage roll ordered by the neighbouring table (because that's what we do), we gave in to temptation and ordered one for ourselves to share.
And we didn't regret it - nice and flaky pastry, and overall a tasty sausage roll.

.

| Charred Broccoli Vinaigrette |


| Apple & Cloudberry Crumble with Clotted Cream |

We only ordered ONE dessert to share (crazy, I know) - we did initially contemplate ordering the waffle, but it looked a bit dry at the next table.
I enjoyed the crumble very much, but wasn't quite a fan of having it with clotted cream. A nice warm jug of custard to drown it drizzle it with would have been perfect!

 

| Popcorn Shake with Bourbon |

We also made a last minute decision to order a shake to share - because who doesn't love milkshakes...
I would maybe try ordering one without the alcohol next time, as the bourbon had overwhelmed the popcorn flavour.


On the whole, I enjoyed dining at Barnyard and would happily visit again at a less busier time. There's a nice selection of food and drinks and prices are pretty good compared to other places that I've been to.
Maybe even start looking out for table cancellations for Dabbous on Twitter, which unfortunately usually occurs when I'm working.
Who knows, I might get lucky.

Address: 18 Charlotte Street, Fitzrovia, London W1T 2LY
Tel. No.: 020 7580 3842
Opening hours: 12:00-00:00 (Mon - Sat) ; 12:00-16:00 (Sun)

The Cheekster, signing out x

Square Meal

No comments:

Post a Comment