Saturday, 22 February 2014

CHECK ON PRESENTS THIS IS ENGLAND

"This is England" is a pop-up hosted by Check On, that lets guests experience a selection of truly British dishes from some of Check On's favourite places around the country.

We arrived right on time at 7pm and were seated towards the back of the the room, although food wasn't served til about 8.15pm.
I could hear my tummy (g)rumbling as we anticipated the arrival of our food...

Prior to each course being served, we were also handed out little brown slips which contained some bite-sized information on the dish. 

 

| George's mums house, Helmsley, Yorkshire | 
- Yorkshire puddings with onion gravy -

A nice little start to our meal - hot from the oven and drenched in delicious gravy.
I could do with a full-out Sunday dinner now...



| Port Issac, Padstow, Cornwall|

- "Stargazy" Cornish pasty with mackerel and crayfish - 

These cute mini pasties came served in brown paper bags. I haven't eaten a pasty in a long time, and this just rekindled my love for it.

 
 

| Tiptoe farm, Northumberland |

- Heritage potatoes with chives & crisps - 



| Grimsby Dock, Lincolnshire |
- Haddock fish cake with tartar sauce and poached egg -

A dainty little fish cake served with an even tinier poached egg balanced on top of it - crunchy batter on the outside and really moist and flavourful on the inside.


 

| West mersea, Coast road, Colchester |

- Oyster, ale and beef cheek pie -

I'm not quite a fan of oysters, but I thought that this was an interesting combination, using the oyster shell as a base.

 


| Ginger pig farm, Levisham, North Yorkshire |
- Roast belly of Tamworth pork with Yorkshire rhubarb and parsnips -

Delicious tender meat - pork belly just never lets me down. I'm not usually too keen on rhubarb, but the combination wasn't too bad. I did like the crispy parsnip.


 

| Swainson house farm, Goosnargh, Lancashire |

- Pressed leg of Corn fed chicken with caramelised cauliflower Lancashire cheese - 

This was probably my favourite course of the evening - very unlike me considering there was a pork belly contender.
The chicken meat was so soft and tender, and the pairing than with the creamy cauliflower cheese was just perfect.

 

| Trinity college, Cambridge |

- Vanilla English cream with burnt sugar - 

The consistency was a bit more runny than I was expecting, but tasty nonetheless.


 

| Tavistock Abbey, Devon |

- Scone cake with tea jelly and raspberry jam - 

The scone cake was nice, if not a tad bit dry. I was intrigued by the wobbly tea jelly though, which I happily finished. Although I don't think our neighbours were too keen on it as I eyed some leftovers on their plates...
An interesting twist on English tea.



| Woodbridge farm, Dorset |

- Dorset blue vinny cheese on toast with dorsetshire sauce - 

I was initially a bit hesitant to eat my share, as the thought of the pungent taste of blue cheese puts me off. This coming from a girl who loves durian with a passion...strange I know.
Eventually I took a whole mouthful, and the flavours surprisingly grew on me. I didn't throw it up, which I guess was a good sign!


 

Overall, a really great British cuisine experience, getting the tastes of different regions under one roof.

Their 5 week residency that launched on February 10th takes place at David Moore's pop-up restaurant Pied Nus in Marylebone. It runs every Monday until 10th March, so grab your tickets fast!
I also forgot to ask if I could keep the brown information slips, which I took anyway - oops. I am now happily pasting them into my scrapbook diary.

To view my post on my previous visit to the Pied Nus pop up restaurant itself, click here.

The Cheekster, signing out x



No comments:

Post a Comment