Wednesday, 25 September 2013

MONOPOLY TREASURE HUNT

I had come across this event by chance after noticing it posted on my Twitter feed.
The only Monopoly game I have ever played were the board-game ones, and even that was ages ago. Owning hotels in Mayfair and Park Lane was my ultimate goal - unfortunately impossible in reality as I was not born with a silver spoon in my mouth. Although I did have a tendency of putting all sorts of objects in my mouth...maybe even the Scottie dog. 
No euphemism intended.
Shame on you.

Anyway back to the game.
There was a list of prizes, and I have to admit that I found some of them looked pretty tempting - I particularly had my eye on the Beats by Dr Dre headphones, and the Samsung Digital Camera. The kind of stuff that I don't really need, yet still want.
Free prizes handed out on the streets with no catch...what's not to like?
It didn't take long for my competitive side to kick in and I decided to take part in this real-life treasure hunt, making sure that I set my alarm clock to wake up in time the next day!



I got into Central London just before it started so that I could 'fuel-up' with some breakfast, whilst keeping a close watch on countdown...

 

I was at Oxford Street when the treasure hunt officially started, and I silently cursed as realized that the Monopoly men started appearing around Trafalgar Square/Charing Cross!
I immediately jumped on the bus, but it was a bit too late by the time I got there - I spotted a few 'Monopoly' people from afar, but unfortunately the prizes had already been claimed. 
On another occasion, a boy about 12 years old ran past me, and I knew I didn't stand a chance...

Nonetheless, I stayed positive and continued keeping my eye on the map for new activated Mr Monopoly to appear. It was only 10.30am, and about 5-10 prizes had been claimed - this was definitely going to be a long day...

Frustrated and defeated, I headed back to Leicester Square, when luck behold, there was one walking directly towards me! I didn't hesitate and ran up to her (Mrs Monopoly?)  and frantically whispered the password 'I own the brand' - I can imagine the look of desperation in my face, but I didn't really care. I breathed a sigh of relief when she congratulated me and handed me my voucher to collect my prize which was the Dr Dre headphones - SCORE!
I could hear a cry of despair as a couple of teenage girls who were nearby (literally walking less than a metre away from us) when they realized that they had missed their opportunity.
My insides jumped with excitement at my first win, and the look on their faces was just priceless...
What can I say...you snooze you lose ;)

More Mr Monopoly starting appearing on the map, with more participants now involved and dashing about trying to snap up the prizes. 
It was clearly much harder getting my bearings right when I had a mixture of excitement and adrenaline coursing through my body, running around like a maniac, oblivious to the strange looks I was getting...
I just about managed to find one standing inconspicuously at the entrance to the underground, and bagged myself a a Spotify card - not quite as exciting as my first win, but a prize nonetheless!

We kept watch on the map with the hope of tracking down more Mr Monopoly throughout the day, but with not much luck...

 

We spent most of the day looking at the map rather obsessively - my 'kiasu' side had definitely taken over.  It was no longer about the prizes...it was about WINNING...

The final release of prizes was the most nerve-wrecking, as they were all scattered about in different locations at the same time - we split up (again) and did a final sprint for the last few remaining prizes. 

 Overall a fun and enjoyable experience, if not a tiny bit torturous...

Guess it's time to unwrap my little gift.



And also a little thank you to Mr D for feeling rather obligated to put up with my crazy antics for the entire day.
You will be duly rewarded. 
With cake. 
Oh, you lucky man.

Currently testing out the new headphones and listening to 'Cold Coffee', whilst dancing in my own little world - bliss.

The Cheekster, signing off x



2 comments:

  1. I just found this whilst doing some research for my CV. I developed the web app for this PR event, glad you had a good time with it. This was a nice read :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oo that's awesome! Good work, it sure was great fun :)

      Delete