Wednesday, 13 March 2013


So after an amazing 4-day trip to Siem Reap, Cambodia, I am now back to civilization with some decent wifi connection!
We stayed at Angkor Riviera Hotel, which was really central and convenient. 
I did try blogging from our hotel room, but due to the really bad connection I had to leave it until I got back. The signal in the room was pretty bad, that I had to perch myself on a chair right next to the door - talk about determination, or rather desperation!

We had a super early flight on Sunday morning, but I caught up on some sleep during the flights. Our prearranged guide picked us up in his van and we dropped by an artisan centre. A local guy gave us a short tour of the place and explained to us the different processes involved in the production of the local arts and crafts.

Later on we took a boat ride along the river to see Tonle Sap, the largest fresh water in South East Asia, and the floating village - home to many Vietnamese and numerous Cham communities. As it is currently the dry season (from November to May), the river was really shallow (around one metre deep) and muddy - was a bit wary that the other passing boats might splash at us!

Floating school - currently on stilts during the dry season, but floats during the rainy season!

Floating basketball court!

Boats getting repaired during the dry season


Personally, I find the price of 20 USD per person was a bit ride on a boat down a muddy river (with all the dust and dirt in the air) and to see some floating houses...
Oh well, at least I can say that I've seen it and done it.

After checking into the hotel, we freshened up and then our guide took us to a buffet restaurant called Angkor Mondial Restaurant, which was swarmed with people - a tourist trap that we unavoidably walked into! As we were there already we just stayed on to have a quick meal - there were some nice local dance performances as well which I guess (sort of) made up for the sad imitation of Cambodian cuisine...
Note to self: Do some online research before following blindly into restaurant.  

Just before we headed back to the hotel, we had a short walk along the night markets areas where I bought a scarf and a pair of silk flowy pants - the start of my little shopping haul.



Got a little distracted by some cute doggies sitting on the pavement :)

Day 1 down, 3 more to go! Compiling and editing photos from 3 different devices is taking much longer than usual!

Off to get a good night's sleep.

To be continued...


No comments:

Post a Comment