Monday, 22 October 2012

GIRLY MEET-UP/FOODIE REVIEW: STAR CAFE + TAPPED & PACKED + SOFRA

Met up with a girlfriend, Stacey, and tried out some foodie places today - food and shopping, if only I could make a living out of these!
Having done some online research I thought we'd try out Star Cafe, claimed to be 'An independent world famous cafe in Soho, London' (taken from main website), which I visualized it to be some cute, quirky cafe based on the reviews I read. Had to take a bit of a detour as I didn't realize there was some construction going on in the area which sort of blocked the view of the entrance. Upon entering the place, it appeared much older than expected...maybe it was the lighting (?)
Then again it has been open since 11th April 1933 (!), and it is rather unique in a way, having been used for different kinds of location filming.
We stayed on anyway for a quick bite.

Here's a quick glimpse...

DSC06876

I ordered a cappuccino and an omelette with smoked salmon and hash browns on the side. The omelette was nicely cooked with quite a generous amount of salmon, though I would have preferred more froth in my cappuccino. Overall, despite the rather old interior, the meal was quite tasty and cheap, costing about 8.00 pounds in total per person. I'm still wondering if they forgot to add in the drinks on the bill.
Good for simple cheap and cheerful meals if you happen to be around the area.


DSC06871
We then popped into Tapped & Packed - a small cafe round the corner that just opened on Saturday.
Loved the interior inside which felt very rustic and home-y, so we sat in to have (another) coffee. I ordered the americano which came with milk in a really cute bottle! (see pictures below)


DSC06877
DSC06878
DSC06880
DSC06884
DSC06882

We then wandered round town for a bit, before heading on to have...yes you may have guessed...MORE food! 
I've passed by Sofra, a Turkish restaurant, at St Christopher's Place quite a few times which was always quite busy, so today I finally tried it out.
I ordered the salmon stew whilst Stacey had the 6oz sirloin steak, and we both each had a glass of Turkey/Angora red wine.


DSC06886
DSC06888
Complimentary hummus, olives and warm bread
DSC06889
Salmon stew
DSC06890
Sirloin steak
DSC06892
DSC06891
Sweet Stacey :)

I absolutely loved my dish - the salmon was well-cooked and fresh, the stew was light yet tasty without being too fish-y, and the mashed potatoes was really smooth and creamy...mmm...comfort food at it's best.
I've always been a huge fan of fish, as well as soup-y/sauce-y dishes, so having a combination of both is like heaven for me.
I tried very hard to resist eating up all the (super-high-calorie-containing) mash...which I kind of regret for doing so now because I'm feeling quite hungry (as always) after Spanish. Typical.

An apple...or ice cream...hmmm...

Have a good night everyone x




8 comments:

  1. No more Turkish food for me))) Ahh, pictures are nice, I become so hungry))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. like those pictures n seems nice restaurant !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely location, amazing pics!

    want to follow each other? i will defiently follow back

    my blog:
    http://thebizarrebirdcage.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks amely! sure :) checking out your blog and following now x

      Delete
  4. The food looks great! Absolutely loved your necklace! <3
    I'm a newbie, Wish we could follow each other? I'm following you already! :)
    Much Love,
    Madhumita.
    http://envoguedivam.blogspot.in/
    https://www.facebook.com/EnVogue.Diva.M

    ReplyDelete