Sunday, 30 September 2012

FOODIE WEEKEND: GALVIN BISTROT DE LUXE & MANCHURIAN LEGENDS

I met up with a girlfriend today to catch up and go on our usual foodie adventure!
After doing some online research, as I so usually do (got to keep an eagle eye out for poorly reviewed restaurants!), I decided on Galvin Bistrot de Luxe on Baker Street.
Galvin Bistrot de Luxe was the original restaurant opened by the Michelin-starred Galvin brothers, and the restaurant has won several prestigious awards. 

Being our usual hungry selves we turned up for lunch at 12noon when it just opened - we were actually 20 minutes too early before and had a little wander around, targeting more restaurants to try out next time.

DSC06744

On entering the restaurant, we were promptly seated and our orders taken not long after. The menu offers a wide range of dishes with a strong French influence, but being a couple of undecided customers, we both chose to have the Sunday lunch 3 course selection. 
The first course was smoked salmon served with a slice of bread - very lightly dressed, fresh and appetizing.
The slices of beef in the main course was nicely cooked and pink in the centre so it was really tender and juicy, just the way I like it. I liked the potatoes that were crisp on the outside but soft and melt-in-your-mouth on the inside - mmm...
And for our dessert we were served Apple tart tartin with ice cream.
The timing between the courses were well-spaced and the waitress was very polite and attentive. 
Our meal cost just below 70 pounds, which I think is pretty affordable for good quality food. I've spotted some selections from the menu that I'd like to try so I'll probably be back again soon!

DSC06745
DSC06746
DSC06747
DSC06748
DSC06750
DSC06756
DSC06751
Sweet Zhi Ling x
DSC06753
Me - the foodie lover!

Leaving the place with satisfied tummies, we headed off to town to do some shopping, or in my case some window-shopping!
I actually made a trip to Primark on Tottenham Court Road the day before and got myself some bargains and essentials...but let's just pretend you didn't know that and presume that I've been behaving myself this weekend!


DSC06757
Pretty walls outside some hotel x

 I was hunting around Chinatown for some mooncakes having realized that it was the Mid-Autumn Festival (中秋節; pinyin: zhōngqiū jié) also known as Moon Festival or Lantern Festival. But the crowds just really put me off so I came home empty-handed, but fret not - mum and dad back home have already been 'given orders' to send some by Airmail from Malaysia! How I do love them x
Unfortunately no lanterns again this year, but I'm pretty sure dad has lit some back home on my behalf which he has been doing since we were kids - ah the good 'ol days x

For dinner we tried out Manchurian Legends in Chinatown. We ordered a few dishes to share as we weren't quite that hungry after that filling lunch we had.


DSC06759
DSC06760
DSC06761
Shredded potatoes with spicy sauce
DSC06762
Braised pork with glass noodles
DSC06763

The food was good, but I think certain bits were a bit overpriced. I don't really think the Chilli Lamb Skewers that was awarded one of London's Best 100 dishes 2012 by TimeOut is anything worth raving about - I found it a bit tough and the spices still a bit too powdery and flaking off the meat.

So, it's the end of another weekend again.
Hope everyone else had some delicious food during the weekend as well!

And before I forget, here's a reminder that The Knot film opens in UK cinemas in 5 days time on 5th October!
Missing bridesmaids and naked groomsmen - what's not to love!


More details here

The producer and cast are really lovely, so spread the word to show your support x




20 comments:

  1. So lovely post!!!

    We can follow each other if u want :)

    Kisses,

    www.nicoleta.me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks :)
      sure of course, following your blog now x

      Delete
  2. That first restaurant looks amazing... the beef! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yea it was, would definitely pop back in sometime again :) x

      Delete
  3. holy moly, everything looks so delicious! I love the wooden box that the bread comes in! i'm drooling from those pictures. heheh
    I love food adventures with my girlfriends!

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha i know right :D i live to indulge in good food on the weekends! and 'immortalize' them in my photos before i gobble them up :D x

      Delete
  4. Hi, I found your blog and discovered some lovely pictures and scrumptious food.
    Please come visit my blog if you like, and maybe your can add me too :)

    Thanks
    Have a lovely day~

    Stylejourneys.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey :)
      thanks for stopping by my blog, checking out your blog and following now x

      Delete
  5. Wow, all of the food looks so delicious!!! btw I love your bag :) Perhaps follow eachother? <3

    xoxo

    http://glam-mania.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks :)
      sure, following your blog now x

      Delete
  6. that looks sooo nice!

    X Jenny
    Rocknrollerr.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good evening, my love :)

    Great-great post!

    Thank you so much for your friendship. Gladly follow you back on both. Hope to see u soon.

    Kisses,

    Nicoleta

    www.nicoleta.me

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Shredded potatoes looks yummy. And the braised beef with glass noodles. Isnt the glass noodles is used for chapchae?

    by the way you have a new follower. Mind to follow back?

    www.keezandmakeup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yea there's also dishes where it's cooked like with mixed veg and lots more :D i love glass noodles :)
      thanks for following my blog, following back now x

      Delete
  9. I wanna eat moon cake too !!!! but I did not get it ... Not worth it too expensive!!!! Those pic are too nice!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love reading your blog and looking at the photos! I like your photography because they're so clear and bright! :) Anyway, I just followed your bloggie :) Hope you can follow me too :) Thank you and more power to you!


    XOXO

    www.MusingsofaMakeupMaven.com (http://sabshernandez.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww thanks hun! sweet xxx
      im checking out your blog and following now :) x

      Delete
  11. cool photos!:)

    www.fourth-dimensions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete