Thursday, 15 March 2012

A QUIET 25TH BIRTHDAY

Barely staying awake til 12 midnight last night, I decided to have a lie-in the next morning (and by lie-in I don't mean sleeping til 2pm in the afternoon, more like 8am by my standards).

After barely avoiding a wardrobe malfunction (!), I settled for my comfy dusky pink MNG playsuit, Zara knitwear jumper, silk floral scarf and Aldo white city bag. Really need to start making use of my pile of accessories in future, many of them have barely seen the light of day.

Decided to finally try out this little cafe @ The Light - La Bottega Milanese which opened a few months ago. I originally intended to try out one of the coffees, but then got distracted by the 'Specials' board and ordered the Coconut Hot Chocolate and 'Crostata di cacao' (chocolate and patisserie cream torte). The hot chocolate was served in a really dainty cup, which tasted really smooth and thick (not like your watered down, overpoweringly sweet hot chocolates at Starbucks). It had a good balance of sweetness and some bitterness, couldn't really detect any coconut-y taste but was good nonetheless. The torte was delicious as well, quite a sticky texture. It's a nice cosy corner with wi-fi internet, with friendly waitresses (my fork was immediately replaced after I dropped it on the floor in my flurry to balance my drink and torte). And it's also opened til quite late which is always a plus!
It can be a bit of a wait during the late evenings though as when I intended to takeaway a 'Rum baba', there was only one member of staff making coffee with no one else at the till which was a bit of a put-off.

    
Fueled with high sugar levels, I went on to indulge in some retail therapy. Tried a few dresses in T.k.maxx but wasn't too impressed, so settled with a Fiorelli pewter bag (originally 75 pounds for which I bought for 30 pounds - another one of my bargain buys!). And in the mood of getting back into my fitness regime I also bagged a couple of crop trousers for gym - investing for my summer bikini body! (though I don't think all the cake has helped). Tried on more clothes at Zara but came out empty-handed, I did see a lovely yellow scarf that I am still contemplating whether to buy or not.



As calories don't count on your birthday, I gathered some cupcakes to satisfy my craving (I have the excuse that I didn't have a birthday cake this time round) - a raspberry and white chocolate cupcake from the shop in the Queens Arcade, and two from Waitrose. The yellow one was the least tastiest but it did look quite pretty (89p!).


Rushed home in time to Skype with mum & dad - daddy who recently started playing the piano even played a birthday song on the piano for me hehe! And they even ate cake on my behalf!
Technology is amazing.

In the evening I met up with Iveta, my violin teacher - we went to have dinner at La Cafetiere, a cosy little Mediterranean cafe in Headingley. The food was served promptly after we ordered. We both order 'Kubah' which was rice and potato croquettes stuffed with lamb, accompanied by some sides - yummy. The dish only cost 8 pounds which is cheap and affordable. Loved the candlelit atmosphere - has a very home-y feel to it.

     

My lovely card from Iveta - with a flute and violin! and a french horn which I will apparently learn next year lol

Thank you Iveta for the lovely evening (as well as the chocolates and the card!), looking forward to our coffee sessions x

And thank you all for the Facebook/text/whatsapp birthday messages! Love you all x

Off to catch up on some beauty sleep now, appointment at the hairdressers tomorrow! ;)









No comments:

Post a Comment